On September 20th, New York City Council Majority Leader Jimmy Van Bramer was joined by Bob Duffy, President of Ring 8, Dave Diamante, official announcer for the Barclays Center, historians and neighborhood residents to officially rename 45th Street and Queens Boulevard after Sunnyside Garden Arena. In this photo, Council Member Van Bramer is joined by Bob Duffy, President of Ring 8, and Dave Diamante, boxing enthusiast and the voice of the Brooklyn Nets.
A Sunnyside street corner now recalls the former site of a storied sports venue that once hosted boxing matches, wrestling competitions, roller derbies, proms, and even a presidential rally. Last Saturday, 45th Street and Queens Boulevard was officially co-named “Sunnyside Garden Arena Way” in a ceremony led by City Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer, Ring 8 President Bob Duffy, Barclays Center announcer Dave Diamante and local residents. It is believed that the 2,000-seat, red brick arena was originally built as a private tennis club or the carriage house for millionaire Jay Gould II in the 1920s. The venue became a boxing arena in 1945, and hosted Golden Gloves tournaments and fights with such big names as Floyd Patterson and Gerry Cooney. In 1960, Senator John F. Kennedy gave a stump speech there during his successful run for the president of the United States. The arena also hosted wrestling cards until it was sold in 1977 and torn down. Currently, a Wendy’s restaurant operates on the property. This is actually the second honor for the arena, as a monument to it was installed on the property near the Wendy’s in October 2012.Posted under Articles